Development Manager or Associate
Based in the greater NYC or the Bay Area California area preferred but not required.
The Organization United for Respect (OUR) is seeking an experienced fundraising professional to support a wide range of organizational fundraising activities, with particular responsibility for managing the organization’s foundation applications and grants, tracking prospects and expanding our individual donor program.
The Organization United for Respect (OUR) elevates the voices of those employed in the growing service economy to ensure industry leaders and policymakers provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working Americans. We leverage technology — social media and our digital platform, WorkIt — to support people working in retail and bring them into community with one another. Through our online peer networks and on‐the‐ground base‐building strategies, we build the leadership of working people to share their stories and advocate for real solutions to the pressing needs of the country’s massive low‐wage workforce. By sharing our innovations, we are supporting the development of capacity across the progressive movement for base building, campaigning and leveraging technology for social impact.
OUR is most known for OUR Walmart, a national organization of current and former Walmart associates that has achieved national scale and impact through an innovative fusion of workplace based and on-line outreach and education as well as strong community partnerships. Hundreds of leaders around the country anchor OUR Walmart’s work, and tens of thousands of retail workers in all 50 states use OUR Walmart’s tools at their worksite or online. OUR Walmart members support each other, share information around their rights and resources, advocate for improved workplace conditions, share their stories publicly, propose policy improvements, participate in intensive leadership training, and build alliances with community partners. OUR is seeking a talented, energetic fundraiser to join our team.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the drafting and submission of new grant proposals, concept papers and letters of interest, independently and in collaboration with program leads and senior staff.
- Manage the renewal process for existing grants, including maintaining an accurate renewals calendar and liaising with foundation staff
- Manage the timely submission of grant reports to funders
- Provide research on new prospects and develop appropriate strategies for cultivation and solicitation
- Organize compelling funder briefings, and coordinate the participation of program staff in other funder events, such as conferences and affinity group meetings
- Provide task and management support to the organization’s fundraisers
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date information in the organization’s grants database on prospective and awarded grants.
- Develop an individual high level donor program.
- Provide support for other development team functions, such as event planning and individual giving programs
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of fundraising experience - grant writing experience and foundation sector knowledge preferred
- Experience working collaboratively on teams and coordinating multifaceted projects, an advantage.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including superior writing, copy editing and proofreading ability;
- Strong research skills
- High level of independent working ability and initiative, and ability to manage multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Meticulous organizational skills, ability to prioritize projects, follow through on detail with high-level accuracy.
- Excellent computer skills with all Microsoft Office applications
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families.
- Salary Range: $42,000 to $76,000 salary annually depending on experience and location.
- Competitive benefits package provided for full-time employees and eligible dependents, including health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage and 401k.
OUR is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please provide a resume and cover letter.