Lead Organizers and Online-to-Field Organizers
Location: Accepting applications nationally and will hire the strongest candidate, and specifically looking for candidates nationally who work remotely and in District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, California, Washington, and Florida.
United for Respect (UFR) is growing a high impact field team recruiting both Lead Organizers and Online-to-Field Organizers nationally and in specific states: New York, New Jersey, California, Washington, and Florida to grow the leadership of working people in the retail to win game changing campaigns for family-sustaining jobs.
Through online to field organizing, the Organizers will build strong worker leadership that will activate a broad base on integrated campaigns that move policymakers and low-wage employers to create good jobs. Our campaigns focus on raising workplace standards through winning $15, a fair workweek, family leave, earned sick time and equitable workplaces free of sexual harassment and racial discrimination. Additionally, new campaigns are taking off to support people losing their jobs at financially distressed retail companies owned by Wall Street hedge funds.
UFR is a national organization building an industry voice of working people working for the country’s largest retail corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the retail workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy. Learn more about UFR’s core programs here: United for Respect at Walmart and Rise Up Retail.
We are seeking lead organizers and online-to-field organizers to:
- Build a broad base and strong leadership of people working across major retailers and in key states to support each other to enforce their rights and advance policy and industry change campaigns through UFR’s online to field organizing model that includes online social media communities, peer to peer texting, field outreach, and our digital app WorkIt.
- Develop and build leadership committees to drive public and corporate policy campaigns through an inclusive process that develops their organizing and advocacy skills, generates bold actions, moves policy makers and educates the public.
- Work with the staff and partners to organize actions, press events and prepare testimony for public hearings.
- Develop the leadership of working people to share their stories with each other and publicly, with the media and online.
- Participate in strategy development and planning to grow the organizing program and advance campaigns.
- Build meaningful partnerships with community and policy allies to support campaigns, our members, and core organizing work.
Minimum 2 years organizing campaign experience, ideally with organizing workers and using digital strategies.
Strong writing, research and communication skills.
Strong listening, persuasion and facilitation skills.
Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people as well as an understanding of the daily challenges faced by low-income communities of color.
Ability to work independently, navigate obstacles, discern priorities, meet competing deadlines and handle multiple projects.
Strong database management skills that inform analysis of the base and strategy.
Familiarity with digital strategies and online to offline organizing.
Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
Must have car and be able to drive and maintain a valid driver’s license, and travel as needed on a regular basis.
Ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
Salary Range: $46,000 to $65,000 annually depending on experience and location.
UFRis an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
Location: Hiring for various locations: nationally (remote), New York, New Jersey, California, Washington, and Florida