New Jersey Lead Organizer
United for Respect (UFR) and United for Respect Education Fund (UFREF) is seeking a motivated and dynamic organizer in New Jersey. Our campaign is seeking to grow the leadership of low wage workers by empowering activist leaders and supporters to organize their communities around local and national campaigns. This position will be applying online-to-offline organizing, as well as relational organizing tools, in order to build a worker base that feels empowered to engage their own personal networks, hold elected officials accountable and win game changing policy campaigns.
Our campaigns focus on raising workplace standards through winning a living wage, fair workweek, paid family leave, earned sick time, and holding corporations and Wall Street accountable; as well as equitable workplaces free of sexual harassment and racial discrimination. We encourage you to apply for this position if you are excited about worker and community empowerment through deep organizing and training. The ideal candidate excels at relationship-building, interpersonal communication, and leadership development.
About UFR/EF: UFR/EF is a national organization building an industry voice of working people working for the country’s largest corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR/EF’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy.
This position is housed in the Political and Policy department at United for Respect/EF and will work closely with our States Campaign Team.
- Build a base of low wage workers who will drive policy initiatives, actions and priorities in the state.
- Develop and build leadership committees to drive public = policy campaigns through an inclusive process that develops their organizing and advocacy skills, generates bold actions, moves policy makers and educates the public.
- Work with the staff and partners to organize actions, press events and prepare testimony for public hearings.
- Develop the leadership of working people to share their stories with each other and publicly, with the media and online.
- Participate in strategy development and planning to grow the state campaign program and advance advocacy priorities.
- Build meaningful partnerships with community and policy allies to support campaigns, our members, and core organizing work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years of labor organizing experience, relational organizing experience strongly preferred
- Proficiency using digital tools
- Strong writing, research and communication skills
- Strong listening, persuasion and facilitation skills
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people as well as an understanding of the daily challenges faced by low-income communities of color.
- Ability to work independently, navigate obstacles, discern priorities, meet competing deadlines and handle multiple projects
- Strong willingness to learn, adapt, take feedback and implement changes in real time
- Strong database management skills that inform analysis of the base and strategy
- Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays
- Must have a car and be able to drive and maintain a valid driver’s license, and travel as needed on a regular basis
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
Salary Range: $45,000-$65,000 annually depending on experience and location
UFR is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBTQI candidates are encouraged to apply.
Location: New Jersey preferred, but will consider New York & Pennsylvania based candidates (Remote)