Athena Online to Field Senior Organizer
Location: Accepting applications nationally and will hire the strongest candidates; the work is remote.
Athena is growing a high-impact national field support team to support Athena members – grassroots and other organizations across the country – in their work to support the leadership of community members, small business, and working people to win improvements in corporate and public policy that address poor conditions in and around corporation operations as well as address growing corporate concentration and the dangers that poses to democracy.
Athena works on delivering democracy by taking on a primary impediment to a democracy that represents us all and an economy that works for everyone: Amazon.com. We are a growing coalition of local, state-wide and national organizations tackling the corporation’s nefarious size, power, scope and operations, in particular: antimonopoly remedies; local and regional governance; data abuse, especially the racism of surveillance technologies; environmental and climate (in)justices; and working conditions. More about our coalition is at www.athenaforall.org
This position is housed at Athena member United for Respect and reports solely and directly to Athena staff. UFR is a national organization building an industry voice of working people working for the country’s largest retail corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the retail workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy. Learn more about UFR’s core programs here: United for Respect at Walmart and Rise Up Retail.
We are seeking a campaigner to:
● Build a broad base and strong leadership of people who shop at, work at or are affected by Amazon’s business practices to accomplish the goals of the Athena coalition, to support each other, to enforce their rights, advance policy and industry change campaigns through Athena member organizations and the coalition overall.
● Support Athena members now developing an online-to-field organizing model that includes online social media communities, peer to peer texting, and field outreach.
● Develop and build leadership committees to drive policy campaigns through an inclusive process that develops individuals’ organizing and advocacy skills, generates bold actions, moves policy makers and educates the public.
● Work with Athena staff and staff of Athena member organizations to organize actions, press events and prepare testimony for public hearings.
● Develop the leadership of people to share their stories with each other and publicly, with the media and online.
● Participate in strategy development and planning to grow the organizing program and advance campaigns.
● Build meaningful partnerships with community and policy allies to support campaigns, our members, and core organizing work.
● Once trained, ability to lead, develop and train partner organizations in our online to field organizing model.
● Minimum 3 years organizing campaign experience is a must, ideally with organizing workers. Familiarity with digital strategies and online to offline organizing is preferred.
● Strong writing, research and communication skills.
● Strong listening, persuasion and facilitation skills. Experience with popular education curriculum development and coaching preferred.
● Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people as well as an understanding of the daily challenges faced by low-income communities of color.
● Ability to work independently, navigate obstacles, discern priorities, meet competing deadlines and handle multiple projects.
● Strong database management skills that inform analysis of the base and strategy.
● Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
● Travel as needed on a regular basis.
● Fluency in Spanish is preferred, although not necessary.
Salary Range: $46,000 to $65,000 annually depending on experience and location.
Athena is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBTQI candidates are encouraged to apply.
Location: Hiring for various location: nationally (remote)